Featured Post

some things about India that foreigners don't believe

Of course, I have to talk about the traffic! I could not believe my eyes! I can’t tell you how entertained I was just riding around in auto ...




  1. Of course, I have to talk about the traffic! I could not believe my eyes! I can’t tell you how entertained I was just riding around in auto rickshaws. At first the traffic seems to be complete chaos, but slowly I learned that there is some sense to it all. For example, the honking. As an American, I first thought the honking was frustration at the constant insanity, but I observed that it’s more to communicate than to scold.
  2. I was warned about the staring, but I didn’t quite get it until we walked down the streets. It was a little unnerving at first, especially in crowded areas when it felt like a sea of faces was turned to me. I soon was able to ignore it and enjoy myself. After a while, I even found myself staring at other white people, because we stick out so much there! It’s hard not to stare!
  3. I thought the Taj Mahal was just some fancy schmancy building. I didn’t even want to go see it. I have not been more wrong about anything in my life! When those gates opened, the majesty of the Taj took my breath away! No picture can ever do it justice.
  4. There is green in India! I am from the Pacific Northwest and everywhere else, in my eyes is brown. I expected India to be especially so. We visited Mussoorie and I was proved wrong. The steep winding roads under tall shading trees reminded me of home. Oh, and the mountain views! So lovely!
  5. Indians are highly gifted in hospitality. My aunt has many friends in India. We were warmly welcomed into their homes with spicy chai tea, wonderful home cooked meals, and happy conversation. It was heart warming to be instantly accepted as friends.
  6. English is widely used. My aunt can speak Hindi, but she prefers her native tongue. It surprised me how often English was sufficient for our communicating. Although, it was fun to see the shocked faces when she would switch to Hindi.

The first morning of our trip, I woke up in New Delhi to the sound of Hindustani singing in the distance. I was in India! I just laid there and drank in the sounds of a different culture. That set the tone for our entire visit. We laughed with new found friends over delicious food. We piled into rickshaws and buzzed through the lively streets. We drank chai tea and ate Aloo Paratha on a chilly day in Mussoorie. In these memories, I caught my Aunt’s love for India and I will be going back!

Edit: Thank you so much for all the upvotes and gentle corrections of my use of the phrase “Chai tea.” I guess, I just love tea tea so much, I have to say it twice! :) Seriously, though, the positivity is so uplifting and it reinforces what I enjoyed most about India which, of course, is the people. I’m so glad my answer resonates with all of you! That means a lot.

COMMENTS

3/random/post-list

Trending topics

Name

Blogging,10,Bollywood,11,Earn money online,9,Facts,13,Politics,10,Religion,4,Sponsored,1,World politics,6,
ltr
item
Sour Tales: some things about India that foreigners don't believe
some things about India that foreigners don't believe
https://qphs.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c9f55c7a92d9413b32012ef48fe3c726
Sour Tales
https://sourtales.blogspot.com/2020/06/some-things-about-india-that-foreigners.html
https://sourtales.blogspot.com/
https://sourtales.blogspot.com/
https://sourtales.blogspot.com/2020/06/some-things-about-india-that-foreigners.html
true
6950347026711908455
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy